There is a wide selection of window treatments available that can be purchased as "cut to order" as well as custom made. Cut to order window treatments generally means vertical blinds, mini blinds and shades. If you are interested in cut to order, there are many questions as to how to measure your windows. Well, here are some guidelines.
Before you measure, you first need to consider if you are going to have an inside or outside mount. An outside mount can help conceal an old, unattractive window and make your window appear larger while an inside mount has a neater look. If you want an inside mount, make sure the window has enough depth to install the mounting hardware. If you are buying blinds, be sure to allow for the height of the blinds head rail in your measurements.
Here are a few tips so that you get the measurements right:
- When writing down the measurements, be sure you note which number is the width and which is the height. Always indicate the width before the height (W x H).
- Only use a steel measuring tape and measure to the nearest 1/8 inch. Plastic or cloth measuring tapes can stretch.
- Measure the width in at least three places and use the smallest width.
- Measure the height in at least three places and take the smallest height.
- Inside mount valances will not line up flush with the wall. They will extend out into the room an inch or two so keep that in mind.
- When using blinds for sliding glass doors, they usually only have a one way draw.
Here is how to measure for an inside mount - Measure the width at the top, center and bottom of the window opening and use the narrowest width. Measure the height from each side and the center and use the shortest height. Be as exact as possible and know that when the blinds are being cut, 1/16 to 3/8 of an inch will be deducted from the width and up to 1/2 inch from the height to make sure the blinds fit inside the window frame. And again, make sure the window has enough depth for the mounting brackets.
How to measure for an outside mount - Measure the width of the window opening and if there is room on the wall, add at least 4 inches to each side in order to minimize any leaks of outside light. Measure the height of the window opening and add at least 2 ½ inches to the height so that the brackets can be mounted above the opening and allow for some overlap at the bottom of the window. If the blinds are to hang down to the floor, be sure that you leave about ½ inch clearance so that they open and close properly. When you are using an outside mount, no deductions will be taken when the blinds are made, they will be cut to the exact measurements.
However, if all of this still makes you uncomfortable and you do not want to measure for your blinds or shades on your own, give us a call at (866) 729-3151. Window Treatment Showplace has free in-home consultation and installation.